Becoming a Part of the Solution



PREFACE:  It’s sad to see young people eager to gain employment, but not be properly prepared to receive a YES.

BACKGROUND INFORMATON: The other night I was on the phone with Maria, a friend and my FAV stylist and she brought up the subject of how youth today are not prepared for interviews.  I stopped what I was doing because of 2 words “youth” and “interview.”  She knew immediately she would get my undivided attention with those 2 words.  I paused my movie and focused solely on the conversation.  My spider senses were tingling with ideas, but I had to tell my brain, “hold on partnah let her finish before you dive head first into vision mode,” so I did.

The conversation continued and as she was speaking my mind was racing, but not from the vision, well maybe it was from the vision, but more so out of anguish.  More times enough during the day we see on social media posts “problems” or “issues,” but it seems [well at least from my eyes] a solution is not present.  This is where my brain kicked in full speed especially after I made that statement to her. 

I was so hurt, because I felt that nothing was being done from what I knew.  I was so furious that I almost started to crying, but I had to keep my composure because Dragons don’t cry.  Dragon Lady is what my family and closest friends and colleagues call me because of my sometimes cold and emotionless demeanor.  All I can say is don’t believe everything you hear, I am really a sweetheart.

Needless to say, by the time we hung up the phone the entire workshop was completed from beginning to end.  Maria could not believe that in a matter of minutes I had it all figured out just like that  in the snap a finger *snaps fingers* it was just that quick. 

THE SOLUTION: The date, time, and location was easy because it was already reserved for another workshop.  I thought the other workshop could wait because this is more important.  In a conversation with my son, who is also a youth, the workshop’s title was born “Job Readiness Training.”

With fire in my heart, I could’nt sleep all night awaiting day light to reach out to a few sponsors and business owners that I knew to seek their involvement.  Needless to say with the first call it was a resounding and surprising, “YES sure anything for you Sharan.”  All I could do was cry.  With that one phone call now we are able to offer a Job Readiness Training Make-Over for a lucky registrant of the workshop.

THE RESULTS:  The “Job Readiness Training” will be hands-on and very interactive.  Registrants will act out a mock-interview.  Learn how to properly prepare for an interview emotionally, spiritually, and physically.  Learn the tricks of the trade when it comes to resumes.  Learn the meaning of “resume profiling”, and also learn the meaning of my definition of WHO WHAT WEAR [and I’m not talking about the famous blog site].

More information about the workshop can be found on the Fashion Umbrella Foundation’s Job Readiness Training on Facebook. The Job Readiness Training workshop is Saturday, June 4, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Registration is $10 per person.

I will apologize in advance if this blog has offended anyone or ruffled any feathers, but this needed to be done.  We, the Fashion Umbrella Foundation will become part of the solution.


Thank you.

Sharan XOXO

Comments