You need school supplies, huh?

Image Courtesy: Google Images

In 2014, the Fashion Umbrella Foundation initiated the program, Back-to-School: REFRESH.  This is a program for teachers who have homeroom students’ grades K – 6 and are in need of school supplies.  Before we get into the meat and potatoes of this writing, let’s take a walk down memory lane. 

When my sons were younger they would exhaust their school supplies over the school winter break.  During the break, I am sure like my sons most children by actions re-defined the word creative as imaginations ran wild.  Unfortunately, the creative and imaginative elements were fueled by school supplies from the first semester purchased by ME!!!

Over the break, my sons became astronauts, airline pilots, and dragon slayers.  The list of imaginary friends and games seemed endless and once again at the mercy of the school supplies purchased FOR SCHOOL.  This realization was visible in January when it was time to return to school and that’s when the real conversations began. “Do you have a pencil? I am out of notebook paper.  Hey mom, please don’t forget to bring home that notebook I need it by tomorrow.”  For some of you this sounds all too familiar and can be a huge burden on the parent.

Map out your future - but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip. Jon Bon Jovi

When I started the Fashion Umbrella Foundation, one of the first programs I introduced for implementation was the Back-to-School: REFRESH.  I presented the program to the Board and said, “We need to do this first and foremost.  There are 2 key ingredients to a successful school year; arriving on time and being prepared.  As an organization, we should do what we can to help students and parents with supplies, even if it’s one classroom at a time.  I never want to see any child suffer if we can help it, especially when it comes to education.  Being a grassroots foundation we may not be able to provide supplies to an entire school, but a homeroom class is a great start.”  

Having a strong and firm Board the question was posed, “where is the money coming from?”  I responded in a proud voice, “Me!  I have saved money to begin purchasing supplies until we start receiving funding for the program.”  It was a no-brainer and the vote was unanimous. 

Online registration is open year-round and to teachers/educators of students in grades K – 6.  The deadline for registration is January 31.  Supplies are donated in February. 

Although, the Fashion Umbrella Foundation is based in Baltimore, Maryland its initiatives and programs are open to anyone in The United States.  I guess 2016 was a fabulous year for teachers because registration was at 0% this year.  Since 2016 was a year of greatness and financial stability, the supplies purchased for 2017 will remain in-house and added to supplies to be purchased for the 2018 donation.

To hear more about this program, I would like to invite you to join me during my podcast, UnconventionalDialogue on Monday, February 13, 2017, at 7:30 p.m. EST.    

In closing, I look forward to reading your comments below (points to comments) and hearing from you on Monday, February 13, 2017, during my show.    

Until next time.  

XOXO

Comments